Employee Benefits

SMWD Employee Benefits
Effective July 1, 2010 - June 30, 2012

Retirement

The Santa Margarita Water District (District) is a member of the California Public Employees’ Retirement system (CalPERS) and offers a retirement benefit formula of 2.7% @ 55.  The District does not contribute to Social Security.  In lieu of increasing salaries in prior years, the District pays the employees' 8% share of PERS, except employees hired after September 7, 2010, pay 3% of this amount for the first five years of their employment.   In addition, the District’s Employer Pension Annual Contribution Rate was 14.549% per employee (based on individual wages) for fiscal year 2010/11 and  19.241% for fiscal year 2011/12.

Medical

All regular full-time employees are eligible for medical insurance, but do not receive offsetting compensation if they elect to receive coverage from another source.  Optional dependent medical coverage is available at the District’s rates and the District contributes towards a portion of these costs.  The District does not provide any post retirement medical benefits to its employees.

  • The District pays 60% of the medical insurance premium cost in excess of the single-party cost for two-party and family coverage.  The employee pays the remaining 40% premium cost.  For example, if single-party medical is $500 per month and two-party medical is $800 per month, the district will pay $680 per month and the employee will pay the remaining 40% ($120).

Dental

The District provides dental insurance for all regular full-time employees.  Optional dependent dental coverage is available at the District’s rates and is paid by the employee.

Vision

The District provides vision insurance for each full-time regular employee and his/her dependents.

Deferred Compensation

All regular full-time and part-time employees are eligible to participate in the District’s 457(b) Deferred Compensation Plan.

  • The District matches an employee’s contribution into the deferred compensation plan up to a maximum of $1,740 per employee per year, or $72.50 per pay period.

Life Insurance

The District provides an Accidental Death and Dismemberment policy and a term-life insurance policy for all regular full-time employees equal to 2.5 times their annual salary to a maximum of $200,000.

Short and Long-Term Disability Insurance

The District provides short and long term disability insurance.  The short-term disability insurance commences after 30 days of a personal illness or injury and extends through 89 days.  Short-term disability pays 66.67% of an employee’s weekly earnings up to $1,500 per week.  Long-term disability commences on the 90th day of an illness or injury and pays 66.67% of an employee’s wages up to $7,000 per month.

General Leave

Sick and vacation leave is combined as general leave, with accruals based on the number of years of employment.  Accumulated general leave that exceeds a cap based on the number of years of employment is paid to the employee on a quarterly basis.

SMWD is currently closed

Contact Us

E-mail requests will be viewed between the hours of 8am-5pm M-F. Any e-mails sent after hours or on the weekend will be replied to during the next business day.

To use our LiveChat please check back during our normal operating hours of:

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 5:00pm

Or

Fill out the form to the right to send us an e-mail.