Santa Margarita Water District’s Jim Mizell Memorial Scholarship Program
Santa Margarita Water District’s Jim Mizell Memorial Water and Environmental Scholarship Program is designed for college-bound students who live in SMWD’s service district.
Jim Mizell served as a director on the SMWD Board of Directors for 12 years before suffering a fatal heart attack while jogging in 2005. He was a Certified Public Accountant with extensive experience in real estate and related financial fields, first elected to the Board in 1993 when the District was starting the arduous process of debt refinancing and overall financial restructuring during tough economic times. He is remembered as “truly … the right person at the right time.”
The Jim Mizell Water and Environmental Scholarship Program will provide five successful graduating high school applicants with awards of academic assistance of $1,000 to be paid directly to an accredited community college, college or university.
- Recipient must be a citizen of the United States
- Must reside within the Santa Margarita Water District service area
- Must be a graduating senior enrolling in a community college, college or university
- Must submit an essay between 500 and 1,000 words discussing the value of water, based on one of three acceptable questions on the application
- Families of SMWD employees are not elgiible to win
- Applications and entries must be filed online, through the completed application form below
- They must include one reference
- The essay must address one of the water-related questions on the entry form:
- The State of California is in a drought emergency. Governor Brown has asked everyone to reduce their water use by 20 percent, which could be about 30 gallons per person per day. How are you and your family trying to achieve this goal? Has it been easy?
- Up to 60 percent of our drinking water is used to keep lawns and landscaping green -- and much of it is wasted. Should people sacrifice the appearance of a lush lawn for water efficiency? How should a yard look?
- Given the frequency and severity of drought in California, where should we get water in the future? (See www.smwd.com for ideas.)
No longer taking applications.
For more information, contact SMWD External Affairs Director Jim Leach at firstname.lastname@example.org