- Save Water
- Rebate Programs
Using water efficiently pays - find rebates here!
$3 per sq. ft. Residential Turf (Lawn) Removal Rebate
$2 per sq. ft. Commercial Turf (Lawn) Removal Rebate
* Approval of all rebate applications will be on a first-come, first-served basis and is subject to funding availability. Acquiring HOA approval is the full responsibility of the homeowner.
Beginning Jan. 1, 2022, State AB2142 states that rebates and incentives from a public water agency turf replacement water conservation program are to be excluded from gross income taxation. Rebates will still be subject to federal taxation.
Designing, installing, and maintaining a new landscape can be costly. On average our participants spend between $5 - $15 per sq. ft. to improve their properties.
Artificial Turf is not eligible for a rebate. (LINK)
SoCal WaterSmart Device Rebates
The SoCal WaterSmart regional rebate program is available to SMWD customers, courtesy of the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California and the Municipal Water District of Orange County. Residential customers can apply for rebates AFTER buying the following devices (commercial customers must apply & reserve funding prior to purchase):
- High-efficiency Clothes Washers – $85
- Premium High-efficiency Toilets (1.1 gallons per flush or less) – $40.
- Rotating Sprinkler Nozzles – $2 each (minimum of 15)
- Weather-based Irrigation Controllers or "Smart" Timers – $200 for single family homes; or $35 per station for single-family homes >1 acre, multi-family homes, and commercial sites
- Hose Bib Irrigation Controller- rebate starts at $35 per hose bib. Maximum 2 timers per single family home.
- Soil Moisture Sensor Systems – rebates start at $80 for single family homes; or $35 per station for single-family homes >1 acre, multi-family homes, and commercial sites
- Flow Monitor Devices – $100 for qualifying devices that monitor your home's water use and help you to detect leaks
- Rain Barrels – up to $35 per barrel (up to 2)
- Cisterns – up to $350 (quantity of 1)
Please keep the following in mind (Terms and Conditions):
- Rebates will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis until funding is exhausted.
- Submitting a rebate application does not guarantee you will receive a rebate.
- Rebate applications are available online.
- Commercial customers must reserve a rebate PRIOR to purchase.
- Rebate reservations are not required for residential rebates.
- Only original receipts will be accepted as proof of purchase.
- Applications must be created and submitted within 1 year of the purchase of a qualifying device.
- Rebate applications expire after 60 days. All required documentation must be sent no later than 60 days from online submission.
- Some devices or products may no longer be eligible for a rebate. Rebate amounts are subject to change.
- For more information or to submit an online rebate application, visit SoCal WaterSmart or call 888-376-3314.
- RECYCLE, or dispose of, your old sprinkler timer at the following locations:
Turf (Lawn) Removal and Spray-to-Drip Rebate Programs
*Artificial Turf is not eligible for a rebate*
Customers MUST apply and receive pre-approval BEFORE beginning any Turf or Drip projects.
Call SMWD Efficiency at 949-459-6593 for more info.