Encroachment Permit

An Encroachment Permit is necessary when performing work requires authority to:

  • Connect to District facilities 
  • Ingress and egress over either District owned property or easements granted to the District
  • Works is upon any part of the District's property, easements, water facilities, and/or sewer facilities.

The permit will allow for proper inspection by District personnel of the described and permitted work and/or property access

An Encroachment Permit, including appropriate plans or exhibit, is required for any work that impacts or has the potential to impact any public water and/or sewer facilities or District easement or District property as determined by the District through the permit application review process.

Please note, it is the responsibility of the permittee to get the permit signed off at the completion of the work. For all newly constructed custom homes the permit must be signed off by the District Inspector and occupancy release must be issued by SMWD prior to receiving the Certificate of Occupancy from the County regardless if the County requests it or not. Neglecting to have the permit signed off and receive SMWD’s occupancy release can result in inaccurate water bills. 

Access the Encroachment Permit Form

Additional Resources: