YouTube Video "How Do I Find an In-Ground Pool Leak?"
Here are simple tips for pools, spa and hot tub owners to save water and money.
Pool Water Saving Tips
- Install a pool cover to reduce water evaporation by as much as 60%.
- Shut off waterfalls, fountains, and other water features to reduce water loss and evaporation.
- Check the pool for leaks. Contact your pool service professional for guidance. See the video below for a DIY leak check.
- Minimize splashing or lower the pool’s water level to reduce "splashout."
- Plug the overflow line when the pool is in use.
- Replace sand and DE filters with cartridge filters that do not require backwashing.
- Keep your pool clean to reduce frequency of backwashing.
- If your pool is heated, reduce the water temperature to reduce evaporation. This saves energy too!
Hot Tub and Spa Water Savings Tips
- Keep it covered.
- Maintain the chemicals to extend water life.
- Check the equipment for leaks.
- Drain only when absolutely necessary.
- Check with your pool service professional for new technology that helps keep the water clean and reduce the need to drain the spa.
- If you drain your spa, after dechlorinating the water, reuse the water to irrigate plants and landscaping.
Water Savings Calculator for Pools
The District has created an easy calculator for you to figure out if your pool and decking design will use less water than conventional landscaping.